Download the Ice cream sandwich update Software here for the Samsung Galaxy S II (i777)
Prior to processing your software update, ensure you have a personal computer with internet connection, your Micro USB cable, and your device’s battery is fully charged. You may wish to back up your personal information prior to proceeding with the update. For information on backing up and restoring your phone using Samsung Kies, click here.
AT&T and Samsung have released a software update for the Samsung Galaxy S II. This software package updates the firmware version to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
Android 4.0 (ICS) enhancements
- Improved multi-tasking
- Customizable widgets
- Improved text input and spell-checking
- New dictionaries for better error correction and word suggestion
- Enhanced web browsing and personalization capability
- Improved email management
- New technology for better security options
- Clearer menu formatting
What to expect after the update
- Home screens: The home screens will be reset to the ICS default view.
- Application Menu: The application menu sorting, folders and home keys will be reset. Downloaded applications will be preserved.
- Contact Groups: All Contacts and Contact groups will remain. However, contacts within the contact groups will be
- Email: Email accounts that were added as a Social Hub or Samsung premium account will be removed.
- Music: Music playlists and settings (Equalizer, Sound effects, Music menu) will be reset during the update.
- Bluetooth: Paired bluetooth devices will be removed during the reset.
- SIM and Memory cards: Information stored on your SIM and Memory cards will not be changed, and may remain installed during this update.
Install Samsung Kies
- Download and install Samsung Kies to your computer.
NOTE: Any previously downloaded versions of Samsung Kies will not work correctly for this upgrade. Please ensure you are downloading the most recent Kies software from the link above.
- Once installed, read and accept the License agreement, and then click Next.
NOTE: If prompted to update to a newer version, click Update and wait for new files to load.
- Once all updates have been processed, the program will close and relaunch itself.
Update your Galaxy S II
- Plug your phone into the computer using the included Micro USB cable.
- Once Kies recognizes your device, you will receive a pop-up requesting to update to a new firmware version. Click Update to continue.
- Read through the Caution pop-up, and if you agree, click to check “I have read all the above information.” and select your desired information saving option, and then click Start Upgrade.
- A notice will display. Read through the information, and then click Next to proceed.
- The update will begin and may take 10-15 minutes to complete. The phone will be unusable during this time. Do not disconnect your mobile phone from your PC or power the PC off. If interrupted, your device could become inoperable.
- Please wait until your phone reboots completely, and then select OK to finish.