In part one of this series we will be providing readers with helpful ways to save big on shipping your sold items on eBay. As a seller, the best way to maximize your profit is by limiting your expenses, primarily shipping supplies. The main free shipping items we will focus on are: boxes, plastic shipping label pouches, tape, wrapping paper, and the most cost effective way to print shipping labels.
I do not claim to be an eBay expert but I am a person who likes to save time and money wherever possible. I hope someone finds this information valuable, as it continues to pay dividends for me.
1. Free Boxes and envelopes: The USPS websites offers free boxes and envelopes to anyone who selects to ship USPS priority delivery. You can order free priority boxes and envelopes from their website and the items will be delivered to door step – free. –> USPS free shipping supplies
2. Label Protector / Custom Form envelope: Tired of cutting and taping those pesky shipping labels onto the outside of your packages? Save yourself some time and effort by using these free self-sticking form pouches. The plastic pouch is made with a strong adhesive and a one inch overlap at the opening of the pouch to ensure that it stays on the package with the contents securely inside. The pouch is also large enough so that ebay sellers can easily fit shipping label, packing slips, and more inside. The pouch is designed to be displayed on the outside of the package, and makes local and international shipping quick, easy and convenient. I use this item all the time. Its a must have for all sellers. Click here for the link –> Form Envelopes
3. Packing tape: Shipping USPS priority? Did you know that USPS priority tape is available to you free of charge? On your next visit to USPS post office, ask a USPS employee for USPS Priority shipping tape. Remember – the items you are shipping must be USPS priority.
4. Wrapping paper: Okay, this is one item that should cost you no more than 1-2 dollars. Head over to your local Dollar Tree or Family Dollar and look for classic white tissue paper or gift tissue. These items usually come in quantities of 20 – 35 per package. Believe it or not, gift wrapping items could actually increase positive feedback, I highly recommend it. You can order this item from Dollar Tree online. – just click the image.
5. Print multiple shipping labels: Shipping multiple items in the same day? Maximize the use of your supplies by shipping multiple shipping labels on a single sheet of regular sized printing paper. Print up to 50 labels at one time. All you have to do is click the shipping labels link on the left side of the My eBay page. Next, click the link that displays the following message, “Print up to 50 USPS shipping labels at one time”. Follow the on screen directions from there and you’re good to go.
Tips on Printing Shipping Labels and Packing Slips: Stay away from ink jet printers! Most ink jet printers will only allow you to print less than 100-200 labels and are meant for casual printing only. Plus, the cost to replace ink jet cartridges are expensive and are guaranteed to have a low life span, meaning you will be buying a new cartridge quite frequently if you are an active seller. Instead I highly suggest you invest in a laser jet printer equipped with a large toner cartridge. A laser jet printer is designed for business use and are capable of printing 1000’s of shipping labels. Toner cartridge refills can be purchased via eBay dirt cheap and are quite simple to use. You can also purchase laser jet printers cheap from most thrift stores.
In part 2 of this series – we will be explaining the various shipping cost and why some areas are cheaper to ship to than others.